[Zope] newbie question about DTML IF

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:14:30 +0100

* Myles Byrne <wisemanb@ihug.com.au> [011024 12:20]:
> I'm trying to add a statement to my page that greets each user with a
> different statement, but i can't seem to work out how to do it.

> <dtml-if expr="AUTHENTICATED_USER = bob">
> bob likes to eat fish
> </dtml-if>

Two points to note:

1) Wrong operator.
   = is an assignment operator (a=3 means 'assign the
   value 3 to the variable a).
   you want ==, which tests equality.

2) you're comparing a string, 'bob' to a non-existent variable, bob.
   when you're inside quotes, you're in python.  "bob" therefore
   refers to a variable by the name of bob.  AUTHENTICATED_USER is a
   string (in this case, 'bob'), not a variable.

You want

> <dtml-if expr="AUTHENTICATED_USER == 'bob'">
> bob likes to eat fish
> </dtml-if>

hth

seb