[Zope] Virtual Site Root problems

Markus Schaber markus.schaber@student.uni-ulm.de
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:18:10 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:54:17 -0500, "Mike Renfro" <renfro@tntech.edu>
wrote:

> > I currently use
> > Zope 2.3.3 (source release, python 1.5.2, linux2) (Debianzied
> > Version).
> >
> > I installed VirtualSiteRoot-1-0-0 as Product.
> >
> > Now I have the problem that I can't copy/paste into or out from a
> > directory that has such a virtual site root.
>
> Try a VirtualHostMonster instead; it may work out easier. There are
> probably other solutions in the mailing list archives. In any case,
> details of my setup are at
> http://www.zope.org/Members/mwr/VHosts_With_Zope_Default

Thanks, I'll try that.

Do you think it makes any sense to use the VirtualHostMonster in the inner directory (gl) for the virtual host, and keep the VSR on the upper directory to keep the management interface available by https?

> > I even would appreciate any other way to implement virtual hosts
> > that enables (or restricts) accessing the management interface
> > through https. (Also, a way to access / through https would be
> > appreciated). Is the CGI interface a way to do this?
>
> You should be able to use Apache RewriteRules to send non-secure
> /manage requests somewhere other than the ZMI -- for example, to a
> Zope-hosted or Apache-hosted page that either gives instructions or
> maybe even offers a redirect to the https version.

That's a good idea, I'll look into this.

My idea would be an automatic redirect to the https URL on all sites that use authentication, but I don't know whether this is doable.

> However, understand that any page on a Zope site could require
> authentication, and by the time your Zope server saw any
> username/password responses, it would already be too late.

That's one of the problems I already thought about, but as far as I noticed, the VSR managed to redirect all management interface accesses to the https. And up to now, I didn't have anything else that needed authentication.

markus
--
You don't have to be Microsoft to suck... but it helps.
(Tim Hammerquist in comp.lang.python)