[Zope] Running multiple versions of Zope?

kapil thangavelu k_vertigo@yahoo.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 04:32:01 -0700

On Thursday 25 October 2001 10:56 am, earth_to_zope@space.com wrote:
> Is it possible/good-idea to run 2 different versions of Zope on the same
> server (using 2 different ports)?

yes its possible, they don't need to share anything. i do this for
development and testing.

> I have a Zope-1.10 application running on a RedHat 7.1 server installation
> (using ZHTTPserver listening to port 9673). It installed it's own Python
> (1.5.1, I think). The RedHat 7.1 installed 1.5.2.

wow, i don't even know that you can find such an archaic system anymore other
than checking out a cvs branch.

> Can I install the current version of Zope and have it listen on a different
> port (and *I assume* using the system's 1.5.2 Python)?

yes. you need to be careful about what the python version requirements are,
ie if 1.10 depends on py 1.5.1 and zope requires

its probably easiest to install a different version of python into non-system
directory and either create a user with a modified path to run a new version
zope or explicitly compile the new zope with the full path to the new python.
you can switch version of python zope is running in whatever shell script you
use to start zope (start for a standard zope distro).

> Also, where does Python v2.x fit into Zope?

zope 2.4 and above require python, below 2.4 (at least to 2.0?) work with
python1.5.2

> I'd like to start the process of rebuilding this old 1.10 application (that
> was dropped in my lap) using the current version of Zope and possibly (as
> someone suggested earlier) using MySQL instead of ZTables for the database
> info.

sounds like a good idea.

hth