[Zope] Zope Eats Memory

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:40:47 -0400

[Tommy Johnson]

> Your example:
> <dtml-var "callTest(None,_,param1=21, param2='was called from far')">
>
> Mine:
> <dtml-var "REQUEST.set('departmentID', '17')">
> <dtml-var "REQUEST.set('categoryID', '2')">
> <dtml-var "REQUEST.set('productID', '21')">
>
> <dtml-var "callTest(None,_,param1=departmentID, param2=categoryID,
> param3=productID)">
>
> Usually, I'll need to set those variables before calling the method. That
> way not only is the method dynamic, but the actual call to the method is
> dynamic as well.

You can also set variables with dtml-let.  There is also a product called
dtml-set that gives you the equivalent of Cold Fusion's <cfset> tag.  I
still can't believe that Zope doesn't have something like this as standard.
I don't know if dtml-set has memory leak problems or not.

Seems to me that you could unset the properties that you set in the REQUEST
once you were done with them.  That ought to release the referenced objects.
Something like

    REQUEST.set('param1',None)

Anyone know for sure if that would handle the memory leak problem with
REQUEST.set()?

Cheers,

Tom P