[Zope] Photo product: how to recreate thumbnails with Imagemagick

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 05:47:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Paul Winkler wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 06:07:01PM -0400, Ron Bickers wrote:
> > This may take a while to run if you have a lot of images, but as you've
> > seen, it's worth it.  In fact, I've made ImageMagick the default engine in
> > the latest version because of its superior quality.
>
> Does it run faster or slower than PIL? By about how much?

If I understand the product correctly, the Photo product works by rendering
all the various sizes at the time you create the Photo instance. Therefore,
once you've created the 'Photo' the program used to create the images should
have no bearing on how fast the images appear on your Web site. In other
words, Photo doesn't create the thumbnails on the fly.

In my experience with 1024x768 images, the difference in speed between
ImageMagick and PIL is unnoticeable. I've got a pretty fast machine though.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com