[Zope] Caching on-the-fly resized photos (was: Photo product: how to recreate thumbnails withImagemagick)

Ron Bickers rbickers-dated-1004726577.71eff0@logicetc.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:42:56 -0400

Can you provide an example application where this might be useful?

Also, how would you propose caching on-the-fly photos?

As stated in the RAM Cache documentation:

"Although Zope does not prevent you from doing so, it generally does not
make sense to associate an image or a file object with a RAM cache manager.
It will not cache the image or file data, since the data is already
available in RAM. However, another kind of cache manager, an accelerated
HTTP cache manager, is available and is suitable for images and file
objects."

So it seems it wouldn't make sense to use a RAM cache with the generated
Photo displays, and the accelerated cache is for setting headers for
browsers and proxies, etc. to cache.  A RAM cache might be useful for
on-the-fly photo caching, but wouldn't that quickly eat up memory?  I
suppose I could store them just like the other display sizes and associate a
timeout with them.  I'm not sure if that would be sufficient or not.

Much of this might depend on the application.  Should there be infinite size
options for the user such that you could end up caching dozens or hundreds
of display sizes for a given photo?

Thoughts?

Ron Bickers
Logic Etc, Inc.