[Zope] Zope on CD ROM

Jens Vagelpohl jens@zope.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:39:02 -0500

1) the loading time depends on the size of your ZODB. since reading from=20=

CD ROM is slower than from hard drive it will always be slower. if you=20=

have a large ZODB there isn't much you can do.

2) this is normal and i don't see a way to change it unless you invoke a=20=

real installer and write stuff to the user's hard drive. you cannot make=20=

something into a service in windoze unless you install the whole thing =
and=20
twiddle in that dreadful registry thing. the CD ROM when done like in =
the=20
howto is supposed to not touch anything on your machine and run =
completely=20
self-contained, so it doesn't install anything. besides, you can only =
make=20
something into a service that runs from the command line on NT/2000/...=20=

but not win9x.

3) check if the start script starts zope with the -D switch or if it=20
explicitly sets the STUPID_LOG_FILE environment variable. you want to =
make=20
sure that -D is not set. i'm not sure how you redirect stuff into the =
bit=20
bucket in windoze, like you can redirect to /dev/null in unices, but =
that'
s probably where the STUPID_LOG_FILE environment variable should point =
to.

jens

On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 05:04 , Laleh Baschardust wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am producing a manual on CD ROM with ZOPE, like I found in the HOW =
TO=20