[Zope] Re: Threading, dtml and performance?!

Paul Zwarts paz@oratrix.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 19:23:24 +0100

Ah... ok. I HAVE had something similar, but it wasn't zope (after MUCH
hair pulling, upgrading, reading, jumping up and down). The
hit-stop-and-reload trick stalled my postgresql. In RH7.2 when you do a
ps -ef, you can see the thread status now. Sometimes if a zsql method is
going and you do that, it stalls. The ps-ef reveals the thread with an
indicator saying UPDATE waiting.

Perhaps this is what you get as well?

Paul Zwarts

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org] On Behalf Of
Oliver Bleutgen
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 6:56 PM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Re: Threading, dtml and performance?!

Paz wrote:

> Oliver,
>
> I'm a bit confused. What version of things are you running? I remember
> that this thread changed quickly to specify Solaris with the problem.
> tested this problem on my linux box (note, dual processor) without any
> problems at all.... Mind you of course it slowed the response down a
> bit, but it was stable...

 > And what is the significance of 2 methods and 'not 4'?

Linux 2.2.13, Python 1.5.2 both from the suse dist (7.0?).
zope 2.3.3 compiled from source.

The problem is described here:
http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2001-October/102360.html

Basically, I can stop zope from responding by
opening two browser windows which point to a long running
zope dtml-method (the 2 methods)
OTOH, pressing stop on one browser window makes zope responsive
again while zope won't stop the respective thread (observable
via top).
The 4 is zope's default maximum number of python threads,
which I can reach by using the above "hit-stop-and-reload" trick.

cheers,
oliver