[Zope] dynamic update of MSWord-Documents from local FileSystem

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:27:09 +0100

"and in the same way to my first question about xml-documtents is it
possible to link msword-documents residing in the local filesystem to zope
via the MSWord-Document Product, the Word-Munger Product or by any other
means dynamically. So that changes in the external word-document are
reflected in zope on the fly and I could reference to the content by
dtml-var?"

I haven't tested the products you mentioned yet. But as long as you use Zope
to check your documents in and out (e.g. via WebDAV), they should do what
you want. As far as I understand MSWordDocument, it will catalog the Word
document, add an HTML version of it to the ZODB, and keep the original file
in the filesystem.

Or do you want to just edit the documents in the filesystem and make Zope
find out automatically that the files have changed? In that case, You'd need
some kind of process that checks the file system folders regularly and
updates the catalog and HTML in Zope. This seems to be doable, but it makes
only sense for small companies or organizations, where all people can upload
their docs into the same filesystem folders. As soon as you have to use
remote protocols like FTP or WebDAV anyway, using Zope as the gateway for
check-ins/check-outs seems to be the better way.