[Zope] Re: Unique ID's ?

Tim Hicks timNOT_THIS@sitefusion.co.uk
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:09:29 -0000

> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:08:10 +0100
> From: Philippe Jadin <philippe@123piano.com>
> To: zope <zope@zope.org>
> Subject: [Zope] Unique ID's ?
>
> Hello,
>
> After some deep searches about the subject, I found that zope has no
> real unique ID's.

I may be way off the mark here, but what about using some the object
reference in the ZODB?  Or does such a thing not even exist?  I'm sure when
I've generated errors in the past, I've sometimes got instance ID's or
something similar thrown back at me.

> For a particular application (where we can't use the object "url" as an
> ID as ojects will move), I'd like to assign a unique_id property to each
> object whenever they are added (the ID must be really really unique).

For similar reasons, I tried to do something like this, but one way and
another, I never persued it when I thought that it wasn't simple.

Hoping for a more authoritative answer...

tim