[Zope] MySQL or PostGres

tonyl@vextech.net tonyl@vextech.net
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 13:43:23 +0100

Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> True.  Then maybe the criteria for evaluation is features-vs-speed?
> I've always said that MySQL is a Ferrari,

Experience (observations really, as I'm not directly involved with it's
implementation) of mysql here is that when it comes to inserts, it's
more like a wheelbarrow. We have a very basic table with less than a
million records, when inserting 20,000 or so records (every couple of
weeks), mysql takes several hours to perform the task. As the number of
records increase, the time it takes to do the inserts take longer. When
the table had much fewer records, the process was significantly quicker.
Clearly the number of records in the table is causing the woeful
performance. As the number of records to be inserted is about to become
much larger, mysql will probably be dumped.

There have also been problems with mysql inserts crashing a server, but
that's another issue.