[Zope] is zope a solution?

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:26:17 -0400

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 10:47:13PM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> tonyl writes:
>  > Are you saying zope crashes or fails twice a week? Surely that makes it
>  > unusable in a real environment, or is "write conflict" a bug in the site's
>  > implentation of zope? I'm confused!
> Usually, Zope does not crash when a "write conflict" occurs....
>
> Our Zope installation is much more stable....
>
>    It usually only gets into problems when the Oracle database
>    behind it plays havoc or someone programmed an "infinite
>    loop".

Usually it does not crash for me either; I would guess actual all-out,
core dump type crashes occur in no more than 10% of restarts.  Usually
zope just goes catatonic for an unpredictable amount of time.  That is,
left to its own devices, it will normally recover, but in my experience,
it is sometimes very sluggish after a conflict (but not always).

So, I find that leaving it to its own devices results in telephone calls.
Using a monitor like isdazope to try to get an actual response from the
server, and restarting when it is non-responsive, has cut this kind of
call down to essentially nothing.

Now most calls are do to me doing brain surgery on an active site.
I still get telephone calls, but it is clearly my fault, and I feel
better having problems that I know I caused myself rather than problems
that I can't quite put a finger on.

Jim Penny