[Zope] Disabling acquisition on a soft reference

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 00:14:45 +0200 (CEST)

Arian de Wit writes:
 > Unfortunately, when rendering a page called, say, index.html it will
 > acquire index.html.menu from further up the tree if not available in
 > the page's own folder, even though I have wrapped this all up in
 > <dtml-with aq_explicit> to supposedly disable acquisition.
It is a wide spread misconception that "aq_explicit" disables
acquisition. It fact, it does not disable but only restrict
acquisition:

    "o.aq_explicit" returns an explicit acquisition
    wrapper for "o". An explicit acquisition wrapper
    does not automatically forward lookup to the
    "parent" (if the lookup in "self" fails).
    However, if "self" is itself a wrapped object,
    the lookup's are performed in both its self
    and parent. This gives some implicite acquisition behaviour.

Dieter