[Zope] MySQLDA woes with 2.4.1 RH6.1

Richard Moon richard@dcs.co.uk
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:48:32 +0100

MySQL is the most popular database on the web.

<RANT>

Is it really not possible to include the MySQLDA with the main Zope
distribution ?

I'm trying to use Zope to meet clients' business needs and losing money
working out why
I'm getting the following message when running setup.py (why I have to do
it I don't know but after you unpack the MySQLDA-python distributiion and
read the README you find you have to do it !) ((No I don't want to know why
I have to do it )).

I'm assuming I have to have the source Zope distribution to get the missing
Python.h for Python 2.1 ?

Aaagh. Great job you guys doing all this Open Source stuff but soooo
frustrating that you can't use it without being a C and Python wizard.

It's not like its some obscure, little used feature I'm after here. I
remember that survey on the Zope site that said connection to RDBMs was the
number one interest of Zope users.

How many people have given up on Zope for this kind of reason - thousands
and thousands I would guess. Most customers don't complain, they just go
elsewhere !!!

</RANT>

Anyway its looking for Python.h

running build_ext
building '_mysql' extension
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/usr/include/mysql
-I/opt/Zope-2.4o
_mysql.c:31: Python.h: No such file or directory
_mysql.c:40: structmember.h: No such file or directory

The only Python.h I've got is in the Python 1.5.2. that comes with RH6.1. I
was deliberately running the Python 2.1 that comes with Zope (as it tell
you to), but presumably that's why I get the problem ?

Thanks in advance

Richard Moon
richard@dcs.co.uk