[Zope] beehive zope hosting (OT?)

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 20:09:30 +0200

Hello!

> The german company beehive stopped hosting Zope!!!!

> Why? I mean it's been the only company in germany (as far as I know) who
> were hosting Zope.

As Reto pointed out in another posting, both iuveno (that's us) and
Lightwerk still offer Zope hosting. I think that our pricing is also quite
o.k. We talked with Mark from beehive, and he promised to inform customers
who need a new home for their Zope sites about our services.

I can't comment on beehive's reasons for stopping hosting, but I can tell
you a bit about our situation:

We started with setting up accounts by hand, which is rather time-consuming.
If you sell a full Zope account for less than 50 dollars a month, this is
not very attractive. For us, the hosting business is not (yet) a major
stream of income.

But: Now we have automated most of the process, and we are planning to
invest more into it, like offering product installs of pre-tested Zope
product packages right from the Zope Management Interface, and high-end
solutions like ZEO-based systems that automatically scale with the site's
hit rate.

We think that plain Zope for the masses will never become an interesting
business. Most of our current customers are web developers that re-sell the
site as part of a design/development contract, or businesses who are doing
their own Zope development.

I mean, a plain HTML web account just costs 5 dollars a month in Germany.
And most of the people who spend that on having a web site up and running
are not intersted in programming the site. They just want to be able to use
a web editor and upload the stuff.

The situation might change with ready-to-run CMS systems for Zope ...

Cheers

iuveno AG

Joachim Werner, CEO

Wittelsbacherstr. 23b