[Zope] *Designing* Zope sites

BZ bz@bwanazulia.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:06:46 -0400

Ok... so I will step up to the bat.... with what I have learned (and
throw it into a how-to on Zope.org)

After building, maintaining and rebuilding over 10 sites with Zope of
all different varieties here is some of what I have learned (in a pea
pod shell)

- Get to know and love standard_html_header and standard_html_footer
they will make your life much easier if you can decide what stuff to
put in them and what stuff to leave out. Navigation is good, site
table templates are good. Anything that is page specific is not so
good.

- Do some things just the way you would with any old server. I still
use /images/ for a place to put all my images and still reference
them in html. I still name pages ".html", keep everything lowercase
and use names for folders that make sense.

- I find that hosting more sites out of one Zope installation,
leaving some dependencies on products is a much better way to go and
much easier to maintain in the end.

- Use versions. They are easy, fun and powerful. You can play with a
live site to your hearts content without ever breaking it.

- Use Zope products with a little caution. There are a ton of
products that do a lot of things but not all of them are still
supported nor have been tested with the newer releases of Zope. Look
at date of the last distribution to see when they updated it. Also,
if it is says beta, know that it probably is for a reason. Email the
developer and ask.

- Spend extra time learning Zope security. If you don't it will bite
you in the end (your end).

-