[Zope] beehive zope hosting (OT?)

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:56:01 +0200

> Hi Joachim,
> can you talk a bit how you did that automatic creation of accounts ??

Hi!

Well, what we are doing right now is "semi-automatic" and not too much
magic, as we still have to manually check the contracts. Except for
long-time customers, we can not allow creation of accounts over the web.

It is currently just a combination of an instance home configuration with a
modified "zstart" script and a config file, where you can add new accounts
by adding a single line and restarting the script. It will then check for
non-existing processes, create the instance home directory structure and
start them.

Products are managed by symbolic-linking them into the local products
folder, so we don't have to go through all the accounts for updates.

Plans are there for a really cool hosting system with automatic generation
of everything from the Domain Name registration and the Apache configuration
to the Zope and Zope Products configuration. But that one will take some
more time and will quite probably NOT be open source, except if somebody is
willing to share costs ...

If you are interested in contributing to it, feel free to contact me ;-)

Joachim