[Zope] Re: [Zope-DB] Problem: Zope unable to load PoPy module

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:08:54 -0400

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 12:23:46AM -0500, Michael Teter wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm new to Zope.  I've got Zope working by itself, and I have been trying to
>
> get PoPy installed.  I followed the 2 line installation instructions that
> came with ZPoPyDA.
>
> When I start Zope (./start) I get the following errors:
>
> 2001-09-20T17:04:32 ERROR(200) Zope Could not import Products.ZPoPyDA
> Traceback (innermost last):
>  File /usr/local/zope/lib/python/OFS/Application.py, line 558, in
> import_product
>  File /usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/ZPoPyDA/__init__.py, line 23, in
> ?
>  File /usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/ZPoPyDA/PoPy_browser.py, line 67,
> in ?
>  File /usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/ZPoPyDA/PoPy_DA.py, line 26, in ?
>  File /usr/local/zope/lib/python/Products/ZPoPyDA/PoPy_db.py, line 26, in ?
> The PoPy module is not installed
>
> Zope then continues to startup as normal.
>
> Here's what I did to install it:
>
>        1) tar zxf ZPoPyDA-2.0.8.tar.gz -C zope_home_directory/
>        2) restart your zope server
>
> Here's my current config.  This is a pretty fresh install of RedHat7.1.
>
> RedHat 7.1
> postgresql 7.1.3
> Zope 2.4.1
>
> And the version of PoPy I'm trying to install is ZPoPyDA 2.0.8.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, you have completed only half of the installation process.
You also have to compile and install PoPy.

PoPy is a C-extension module for python that provides the actual
adapter that ZPoPyDA uses to talk to PostgreSQL.

Note:  You did not say how you installed your Zope or your python.
It makes a difference.
The PoPymodule.so must be placed somewhere in the PYTHON_PATH used
by your zope.  Source installed zope's generally do not modify
the system PYTHONPATH, and it would usually go in
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages, or something like that.

Binary installed Zope's generally DO modify the system PYTHON_PATH.
(But I forget exactly how; I think there is a python directory in
your $ZOPEHOME).

As to pyschopg being actively revised... Well, so is PoPy.  The least
release of PoPy is what, 3 weeks old?

Jim Penny