[Zope] Large file downloading - slow response - solved.

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:01:05 +0300

Oh rat's ass.

I spent about an hour trying to find the reason for Zope's slow
performance, when serving large files until I found that it is the way
Zope at the moment works. That it takes time to read the file into
memory, create the temp-file and send it to the client.

For my 8 MB file it took about a minute ( I logged it with the -M option
). Now my question is, that is there a way of improving this performance
and is that one minute time normal for others too? How have users
responded, for example while using Document Library product with large
files?

Our installation is on a Linux box, where we have Apache and with
rewrite-rules forward querys to Zope. For now I had to create a static
directory, where I will store large files and access them in Zope via
LocalFS. When served to a client I write urls so that the files are
server directly from Apache.

If you have any other ideas how to make things work better I would be
delighted to know.

-huima