[Zope] problems with zope handling large download files

Albert Ting alt@sonic.net
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 21:56:44 -0700

I'm currently using zope 2.3.3, apache 1.3.20, and fastcgi.
However, I'm trying to support large http transfers,
protected via a acl_user (passwords, expiration, etc.).  Each
download/transfer could be 20-50mb.  I've tried using LocalFS as well as
streaming out the data using RESPONSE.write().

However, it appears FCGIServer buffers the *entire* file before
sending it out to the apache mod_fastcgi.  This won't work for me, as
it's a huge memory hog, plus there's a noticeable delay before the
buffer is flushed out to apache.

An alternative would be not put the large files within the zope process but
as an external file.  But I need to support passwords/expirations.

Is there a better way to handle this?  I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Albert Ting (alt@sonic.net)