[Zope] Zope & apache ...

Adam Manock abmanock@earthlink.net
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 07:42:21 -0400

At 06:16 AM 4/12/02, Paul wrote:
>Hi,
>         I've just read the webservers.txt file and I've got a question :
>).
>If I use apache and pcgi or cgi to pass requests to zope, rather than
>using the zope http server directly, do I still need to have the zope
>http server running? I.e. I will have apache on port 80 for example,
>passing requests to zope running on 8080, two servers running.
>
>Initially my plan was (is) to use mod_proxy or rewrite to just pass
>requests back to the zope server. Using cgi or pcgi looks like an added
>level of complexity at this point...

mod_proxy works well with Zope. You get better performance by
proxypassing to a multi-threaded zserver than by using cgi anyway

VirtualHostMonsters in combination with Apache allow you to do neat
tricks like serve SSL-ized Zope content from Apache.
Zope-SSL without patching....  ;-)

Make sure you look at:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html

This part in particular:

"ProxyRequests directive
This allows or prevents Apache from functioning as a proxy server. Setting
ProxyRequests to 'off' does not disable use of the ProxyPass directive.
Warning: Do not enable proxying until you have secured your server. Open
proxy servers are dangerous both to your network and to the Internet at large."

So if you don't need to turn the proxyrequests directive on, don't!

Adam