[Zope] Building Python for Zope on *NIX

oliver.erlewein@sqs.de oliver.erlewein@sqs.de
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:30:50 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Lennart

My problem is (still) the threading of Solaris (see thread on performance and threading or the Threading Report http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/solaris).

Usually I just have two Solaris machines to play with and
now I had two Linux PC's aswell. One was on RedHat 7.2 with Py 2.1.2 and Zope 2.4.4 from source and the other was Py 2.1.? and Zope 2.4.1 precompiled.

The problem I had with Solaris is that it seemed to be singlethreaded! You run a big "job" on Zope and try to do something with the management interface (or anything else on the site) and it won't work in parallel.

I used to think that it is a Solaris problem. But the Linux RedHat machine has the same problem. Now I noticed that the problem does not surface when I use precompiled stuff (Suse Linux machine - or WinNT I tried earlier). Therefore it MUST be my build of Python!! Now the thing is, where did I go wrong?! As I understand it it must be as simple as you said but since I had the same problems with 3 machines of totally different types and *NIXes my error must be quite obvious....

Was that detailed enough for you to give ma a hint?

Thanx for the help
Oliver Erlewein