[Zope] Zope FTP Hang File List Problem

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:10:37 +0200

hpinson@indepthl.com writes:
 > Hi.  I am experienceing a problem FTP'ing into zope that has
 > previously been discussed on this list, with no apprent solution.
 >
 > When I FTP to Zope from Win98 or a Mac OSX that are behind a
 > Cisco 675 DSL router running NAT, ftp hangs (according to the
 > Z2.log) at:
 >
 >  ==> 200 PORT command successful.
 > == LIST
 > ==> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
 > ... hangs
 >
 > i.e. it hangs when FTP tries to list directories and files.
 >
 > I've seen lots of discussion about this, but no solution.  Has anyone
 > found one?
Maybe a "passive" versus "active" FTP connection issue.

When you go through a firewall, you will usually want to use
passive FTP connections (as otherwise, FTP will use 2 ports
and the firewall will probably refuse the second to pass through).

It should be a configuration parameter for your FTP client whether
it uses active or passive mode. Look at its documentation.

Dieter