[Zope] Zope refuses to start after normal stop

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:42:48 -0700

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 05:20:02PM -0400, Jorge O. Martinez wrote:
> Hi:
>
> This is weird. I stopped Zope (using the stop script provided)  because
> I was going to test Tomcat (also on port 8080), but when I tried to
> restart zope again (as zoped, a user I've created for zope), it refused,
> and it's giving me this messages (by the way, I stopped Tomcat, so the
> port is free):

(snip)
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/usr/local/zope/AccessControl/www/User_icon.gif'

Does this file exist, and what do its permissions look like?

> *******************
>
> However, when I try to start it as root (a bad idea, but I was just
> curious), it starts, and I can go to the manage area. What's going on?

When root can do something that another user can't,
there are only two likely explanations:
1) the permissions are wrong, or
2) the two users have different environment variables

If the cause was bad permissions, python would tell you something like
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/foo/bar/baz'

Therefore, I strongly suspect that root runs zope with some
critical environment setting that your other user does not
have. Some path must be set wrong.
Try grepping around in the zope installation for that filename,
see where it's being used.
Also do a "find" for User_icon.gif and see where it really is.
I bet it's not in that directory...

--PW