[Zope] Zope magazine - The spirit of the community

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:01:39 +0300

Trevor Toenjes wrote:

> I did not know this.  This is valuable info.
> Thank you for contributing this way.
> BTW-I have suggested that we start giving credit on zope.org's homepage to
> groups that support Z3 sprints.  We need more sprints to get Z3 out faster.

Yes. I agree too. Also other Zope summits would be great. I would like
to see other Zope developers and hear about their projects while also
propably working together on some of the Zope-issues for the future.
Because of my location ( in Finland ) northern Europe or for example
Germany would be ideal place for this kinf of happening.

> I started using Zope because of low cost of entry to do OO web apps with
> Python. And I embraced the idealism that the Zope community was bent on
> keeping things FREE for developers.
> I am trying to protect this ideal situation.

> You still havent answered how the money is being used.  And you dont have to
> answer.  My perspective is that the zope community is not for profit.  We

> Maybe if you disclosed that 100% of the procedes will go to Z3 development
> and paying for more sprints then the community benefit would be clearer and
> easier to support.

Yes. The money issue is intersting. 90 Euros is not that much -- but I
would like to know what I am getting. While buying books I know that I
am also helping new Zope title's to come available, since publishers
see that there is need for dead tree products too.

While buying per article I would also know what I get. Buing stuff in
a 'year full of subscriptin of something' I don't buy it. Not for 90
Euros. If it would be to also support Z3 or CMF development I would
not hesitate!

Open the businessmodell and use the community. If it is agreed, for
example, that an article is worth x Euros for the author and general
expenses for each magazine ( hosting etc. ) is X euros - while rest
goes into Sprint fund or similar, I believe there wouldn't be any
problem and propably would like to contribute just for the Sprints sake.

And yes. The magazine idea is still good!

-huima