[Zope] Opening MSWord Document via WebDAV from <a href="..."/>

Thomas Guettler zopestoller@thomas-guettler.de
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:02:56 +0200

Hi!

Is there a way to open a MSWord document
via webdav from a link?

It is unfortunately too difficult for most people
to download the document from zope to a local directory,
change it, and upload it again.

Since Zope supports WebDAV it should be possible
to open it via webdav by following a link (<a href="magic"/>)

But what does "magic" need to look like?

If I use magic=="http://zope-host:8080/foo.doc"

"WebFolder" don't show up at drive letters. At least I didn't
get it working. Since I need it for an intranet application it
would be possible "mount" the webdav from zope to e.g. "z:" on all
clients. Then a link to file:///Z|... should work. I heard
that only Windows-XP is able to map webdav to UNC-Names

An other solution would be to run a samba-server on linux
which mounts the webdav. Someone on this list
has reported that he got this working. But I don't like this.
Would be nice if the server could be Windows, too. And I don't
know if authentication works this way.

According to http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Articles/WebDAV
you need to use commercial products to map a webdav server
to a drive letter (Webdrive, Teamdrive costing 39$ per client).
Has someone experience with these products? Are there free
alternatives which map a WebDAV-Server to a drive letter?

Opening the word document with the windows explorer and
editing is no problem.

Has some hints?

    thomas