[Zope] problems with examples in the Zope Book (Zope Zoo)

Walter Truitt twalter@attbi.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 18:54:11 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C1E89C.C273DD80

I got the zope book this last week, and this is my first introduction to =
using zope.  I downloaded the latest version of zope on my Windows =
machine.  I have it all working, and have been happy with it for a few =
days now.  I made it through the zope tutorial, and the first few =
chapters in the book with no problem.

In chapter four, I had one change that I figured out.  In a =
Script(Python) "hasVisitedZoo", to use the cookies, REQUEST has to be =
set to container.REQUEST.  I am guessing this must be something new in =
the later release or something.

Anyways, I am now in chapter 5, and there is a navigation DTML method =
that is supposed to print links to the various folders.  In my =
index_html, also it is supposed to print the folder name rather than the =
DTML Document name (index_html) from the figures.  Did something change =
to make it where I have to specify what to use?  I didn't find how to =
set a variable to the folder to be used yet, or I would have figured =
what should have been written.

The interesting thing was that earlier in chapter 4, I had a <dtml-var =
title> in a file, and it put the folder name even though the document =
also had a title.  (Feedbags if you know the book).

While writing this email, I figured it out.  I decided index_html would =
be a DTML Document rather than a Method.  This difference was not =
pointed out in the book (at least the print version), if it is not in =
the online one with comments, I will add the comment myself. :-)  It =
does say to create a DTML Method in the folder called index_html, I just =
started adding it, and thought to myself, this is document.  Anyways, I =
needlessly spent hours trying to solve this.  On with life.

Thanks,

 -walter

------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C1E89C.C273DD80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I got the zope book this last week, and =
this is my=20
first introduction to using zope.&nbsp; I downloaded the latest version =
of zope=20
on my Windows machine.&nbsp; I have it all working, and have been happy =
with it=20
for a few days now.&nbsp; I made it through the zope tutorial, and the =
first few=20
chapters in the book with no problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In chapter four, I had one change that =
I figured=20
out.&nbsp; In a Script(Python) "hasVisitedZoo", to use the cookies, =
REQUEST has=20
to be set to container.REQUEST.&nbsp; I am guessing this must be =
something new=20
in the later release or something.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyways, I am now in chapter 5, and =
there is a=20
navigation DTML method that is supposed to print links to the various=20
folders.&nbsp; In my index_html, also it is supposed to print the folder =
name=20
rather than the DTML Document name (index_html) from the figures.&nbsp; =
Did=20
something change to make it where I have to specify what to use?&nbsp; I =
didn't=20
find how to set a variable to the folder to be used yet, or I would have =
figured=20
what should have been written.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The interesting thing was that earlier =
in chapter=20
4, I had a &lt;dtml-var title&gt; in a file, and it put the folder name =
even=20
though the document also had a title.&nbsp; (Feedbags if you know the=20
book).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>While writing this email, I figured it =
out.&nbsp; I=20
decided index_html would be a DTML Document rather than a Method.&nbsp; =
This=20
difference was not pointed out in the book (at least the print version), =
if it=20
is not in the online one with comments, I will add the comment myself. =
:-)&nbsp;=20
It does say to create a DTML Method in the folder called index_html, I =
just=20
started adding it, and thought to myself, this is document.&nbsp; =
Anyways, I=20
needlessly spent hours trying to solve this.&nbsp; On with =
life.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&nbsp;-walter</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C1E89C.C273DD80--