[Zope] Problem Creating Instances Mysteriously Solved

Dan Shafer pydan@danshafer.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:53:51 -0700

At 11:24 PM 4/20/2002 +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
>Dan Shafer wrote:
> >
> > Clearing could be a structured document (XML), a collection of SQL database
> > records or, as it turns out after only a little experimentation on my part,
> > a collection of folderish Zope objects and documents manipulated directly
> > through DTML (setting properties, etc.)
>
>No! *slap* *slap* Dammit! Snap out of it! ;-)
>
>DTML is evil. Especially when used for manipulating things.
>DTML should _only_ ever be used for presentation, althought I'd recommend ZPT
>for that.
>
>Use Python in the form of Script (Python)'s when you need to manipulate
>things...

LOL. OK,OK, I get it. Especially when I look and look and look and I can't
see how to set custom-defined properties for an existing DTML Document
object. It *appears* I have to create the DTML document in a script, then
use the manage_addProperties function to add properties and assign values.
Feels a tad indirect but I don't see property setters and getters.

And while I have everyone's attention, is there a property to set for the
*contents* of a DTMLDocument object?

> > Thanks to Chris Weathers,
>
>*sigh* Withers, not Whithers, certainly not Weathers...
>
>Pretty please? :-)

Yeesh. I even looked directly at your name and then typed it wrong.
Explains a lot about why my code doesn't work, eh? :-(

>Seriously though, I'm glad things are looking up. So many problems are merely
>the outlook you bring to them...
>
>good luck,

Thanks. I'm getting closer. I think.