[Zope] Threadingproblems solved !

oliver.erlewein@sqs.de oliver.erlewein@sqs.de
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:49:13 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Paul

Well I didn't throw the SUN server away after I had the same faults with a Linux server. This and the fact that RPMs worked convinced me that the fault must be mine. But we're talking hours here before I would have done it. Now I'm as happy a a newborn!

I noticed an increase in speed between 2-10 fold!! And since our programming is VERY lean&fast because of the problems we had (we had to optimize very much) the pages seem as if they were static content even when doing recursive calls. Therefore I'm very happy now. Even with Solaris. ;-)

Ok here are the configs and the numbers:

Test:
Solaris 2.8, 4 x Sparc 450Mhz, 2Gb RAM, Zope 2.4.4b1, Python 2.1.2 (gcc), lib/lwp, pystones: 4587, -t 4 -i 32, DBsize 470Mb

Prod.:
Solaris 2.7, Pentium III 1Ghz, 512Mb RAM, Zope 2.4.0, Python 2.1.1 (gcc), lib??, pystones: 11764, -t 7 -i 32, DBsize 470Mb

Linux Test:
Readhat 7.2, Pentium II 266Mhz, 64Mb RAM, Zope 2.5.0, Python 2.1.2, lib??, pystones: 2688, -t ? -i ?, DBsize 50Mb

All work perfectly fine! The production Pentium III is mainly twiddling thumbs. Even when doing reorgs or reindexing of the main Catalog the performance only drops very slightly. Now I've set up a small project doing research on different compilers, compiler options, libs,... I'll post the pystones when I get them (probably in June).

Oliver Erlewein

P.S. Where can I see the list which libraries the python was built with?