[Zope] VirtualHostMonster and multiple domains

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski@uni-bielefeld.de
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:06:40 +0200

hi,

> Hi. I have concerns about virtual hosting.
> Today, I have a single zope instance with a single IP number and a single application in a
> folder called /lngate. No Apache, just ZServer. So far I have been testing it with the IP
> number x.x.x.x/lngate  . I just set up a virtual host monster with the mapping
> www.lngate.com/lngate
> So hopefully tomorrow, when we start changing www.lngate.com to point to this new IP number,
> the requests will be forwarded to the lngate folder.

that should happen I guess!

> Do I have to do anything to my Catalogs?

hopefully not... but if you have used the absolute_url as meta-data
something can go wrong... just reindex tomorrow and the problem is
solved...(better way: don't use absolute_url in the meta_data) ;-)

> I don't need Squid, do I? This will be a low traffic site, with very small pages.

a bare zope can handle just a few requests per second... this will be
enough for low traffic sites... but remember that the management through
  the web will stress your zope too... and if you're going to reindex,
the site could become slightly slow.

> Also, my network guys, who usually work in IIS,  are telling me that when the second
> application is ready, it will need a separate IP number.

don't believe anything from microsoft-infected people...;-)

> And that this application should be
> in the root folder of the site. Is that right, or can I just use another domain with the same IP?

if you set up several domains to the same ip, it works without problems...

> I would add another line to the Virtual Host Monster, and have the second application in a
> second folder. That's the way I interpret the virtual host monster documentation. Has anybody
> done this?

yip... it's just as easy as you described... even if a squid is sitting
in front of zope...;-)

good luck for tomorrow,

maik.