[Zope] Zope in intranet - the cool apps?

Kevin Erickson kerickso@exempla.net
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:59:07 -0500

Here's my $.02 on potentially the coolest Zope app for intranets. To me,
that would be a portal that takes CMF / Plone to the next level.

Features would include..
- functionality similar to MyYahoo and other portals that allow a user to
customize content that they see
- content would be developed into "gadgets" or "portlets" to use other
portal companies' terminology.
- gadgets would be made available to users based on what group or
"community" they belong to... e.g. Managers, Executives, Customer Service
Rep.
- communities would integrate with a corporate directory, e.g. LDAP
- portal administrators could force certain content to users
- management wizards would allow easy gadget development, e.g. use something
like Kebasdata to pull html content from other sites, use a SQL tool to
develop database content gadgets

I've only been using Zope for a few weeks, but it seems to me that Zope is
well-suited to this concept. It is certainly easy enough to create objects
that can be included as content within some framework. Many of the things
that would make good gadgets for a corporate portal are available as
separate products... e-mail clients, SQL queries, etc. Bring them all
together and you've got the killer intranet (or extranet, or internet) app.

Kevin