[Zope] Zope Troubleshooting Tip (learn from my mistake)

BZ bz@bwanazulia.com
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 06:28:01 -0400

So I was trying to get ZUBB to work (yes, I am the person maintaining
the code as well) and for some reason I could not post to this one
board I had installed in a virtual host/cmf. I created another board
and nothing would post. I checked permissions, locations, everything
and it would not post.

After hours of playing with it and getting quite frustrated I
remembered a problem I once had with names so I searched my
installation for "post" but got back nothing but the two post methods
in my first and test boards.

And then I saw it. Sitting right there in the root directory. A
folder named "submit". I renamed it "submit_old" and lo and behold I
could post again.

The problem was that I was checking for "submit" in my post method
and it was picking up on the directory name (OO and all that
goodness).

TIP: The lesson learned is: When troubleshooting something in Zope
make sure you are not calling a method or variable that has the same
name as another method / variable / object in your folder paths. Use
the find feature and take a look around.

Cheers,
BZ