[Zope] Apache Rewrite w/o VHM

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:57:04 -0500

BZ wrote:
> Why one over the other? I have been using SiteRoot and AccessRules for
> years (literally since you wrote it). What does VHM get me that those
> two do not?

If you're an experienced and competent user of SiteRoots, there's
probably not an especially compelling reason to switch.  I personally
like the fact that I only need one VHM, plus a very straightforward
Apache config pattern.  AccessRules don't have a replacement, and I
continue to use them for various tasks.

Again and again, however, people trying to use SiteRoots for the first
time panic when they appear to have locked themselves out of the ZMI.
Just about as frequently, I see posts from folks who think they have
successfully set up virtual hosting, but their paths are screwed up
because they didn't understand the proper use of Base and Path.

No amount of documentation seems to stem the tide of wounded feet ;-)

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am