[Zope] Why not ZPT

Thomas Guettler Thomas Guettler <thomas@thomas-guettler.de>
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 07:39:45 +0200

Thank you for your answers

I try to explain my point of view a bit more. The first post was by
intend written provokingly. Please note that my point of view is of
someone how develops an application where logic is more important than
layout.

Why not ZPT:
 Yes, mixing python and HTML can get a mess. But if the
 first coders did a nice and simple framework every programmer who has
 understood objectoriented programming will understand what the code
 does.
 Unfortunately there are a lot who don't know what inheritance is

 If designers  only know HTML they don't know ZPT, too. I think it makes much
 more sence to learn python than ZPT. Python is programming language,
 there are a lot of examples on the net (Cookboo) and a friendly
 newsgroup.

 BTW, you can seperate logic and layout without ZPT, DTML, too.
 You just need to stick to some rule. Methods which create
 forms are called fooForm and the corresponding page which
 takes the form variables are called fooAction

What remaines if you take away Acquisition, ZPT, DTML, ZClasses?
 An objectoriented applicationserver,
 a HTTP/WebDAV/FTP frontend to ZODB

Acquisition:
 Acquisition seems to be inheritance for people who don't do OOP.
 I think it is usefull if you are developing zope TTW.
 In a python product you can use real inheritance
 I tried to inherit from Acquisition.Explicit but this resulted in
 strange behaviour of some zope methods.

 thomas

--
Thomas Guettler <guettli@thomas-guettler.de>