[Zope] More info for newbies on Zope's Z2.log file

James Bragg james@skunkfarm.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 01:01:34 -0500

Hello everyone!

I finally got Sawmill, a website stats package, (www.sawmill.net) up and
running with Zope 2.5.1.

FYI: The Z2.log file format is almost Identical to the Apache Combined log
file format. There is a subtle difference in some of the separators at the
end of the line where the client browser and OS information are located.
Sawmill compensatea for this, and its a non issue.

TIP: When you first setup sawmill, just set it up to import one log file. It
will automatically detect the format. What was blowing my install out was
that I had told Sawmill to suck in an entire directory of log files. By
reading just the Z2.log file it was able to determine the format. After that,
I went back and added the my log archive directory and it was able to bring
all of the files in.

Live and learn, I hope others find this helpful.

-james
James Bragg