[Zope] Playing the Devil's Advocate: Why Zope?

BZ bz@bwanazulia.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 06:48:01 -0400

This is a Zope mailing list so I would be surprised if you got many
people pushing you towards ASP, but here is why I have built things
with Zope for the last 3 years.

1) Scalability - You can scale Zope with Zope Enterprise Objects to
your hearts content. Check out http://www.cbsnewyork.com which runs
on over 40 servers.

2) OO goodness. Object oriented programming is one thing but mix that
into a website environment and you can do some pretty cool and quick
things.

3) ZMI (Zope Managemnet Interface). Building and maintaining my sites
through the web allows me to do things so much quicker and easier. I
can sit down at any Internet connection and do some complex updating
of my sites with only a browser. Try doing that with ASP.net you will
have to carry around your 40 CDs to install all the dev tools on a
Windows only machine.

4) CMF (Content Management Framework) is a great tool for setting up
a interactive, workflow enabled, user based website model. The big
boys like Vignette, Documentum, IBM and Interwoven will all do the
same thing for half a million dollars.

5) Zope products. You want a quick FAQ engine? You got it. You want
want a site just like Slashdot? you got it. You want discussion
boards, data base adapters, photo products? They are all there and
ready to install for the low low price of free. Some are more
polished than others, but I have found that the polishing of them is
the fun part.

And lastly (without a number) is probably the best and worse reason
to pick Zope. It is open source. It is the best reason for your
personal budget but the worst if  you are trying to sell to a company
who still believes that you get what you pay for.

Oh... and the community of Zopsters is great.

BZ