[Zope] Need help understanding the CMF portal_actions tool and interfaces thereto

Phil Glaser StillSmallVoice@DirectvInternet.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:43:36 -0400

Hi,

This is a CMF question that I've already posted on the CMF list, but did not
get a response to. I'm hoping there might be someone on this list who can
respond.

I need to do some fairly extensive customization of CMF/Plone and am trying
to understand what the portal_actions tool is and how it works. I've figured
a few things out on my own -- if I add a portal action of the "portal_tabs"
type, it shows up on the site navigation bar, and that the contentTabs menu
in the "my stuff" area of Plone is built from portal actions. But much
remains opaque to me. For example, the "local roles" action in the "my
stuff" contentTabs menu is not listed in the portal_actions tool. "Action
providers" make no sense to me.

I've been all over the CMF and Plone sites and cannot find any documentation
about it. (There are some juicy looking links on the CMF site, such as
http://cmf.zope.org/design/system_architecture/view and
http://cmf.zope.org/design/interfaces/tools/IF_portal_actions/view), but
these links don't lead to real content.) Is there such a document?

My other alternative is to study the Plone Page Templates and the
portal_actions source code. If I must, I shall, but it would really help to
have some narrative explanation.

Thanks!

Philip Glaser
Principal and Software Architect