[Zope] Why not ZPT and jaxml instead

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:56:45 +0200

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 09:27:55AM -0400, Casey Duncan wrote:

> That said, if your use cases are more inline with Jaxml then use it. I would
> hesitate to call it a templating language though as the xml only exists at
> run time. It is really a very clever leveraging of Python syntax to generate
> xml. So it is aimed squarely at Python programmers as opposed to ZPT which
> aims at web developers who may not be "programmers".
>
> What I like best about it (Jaxml) is being completely isolated from any icky
> SGML syntax ;^), which as you can tell I am not terribly fond of...

JAXML also offers two different templating mechanisms if you prefer to use
this functionnalities : one with external templates, the other with late
binding of anything, even plain-text portions of the current document.

These two mechanisms aren't completely tested, any bug report is welcome.

> A more general question about it: can it generate DTDs?

Not automatically, unfortunately, but you can always use the _text()
method to put plain text into the document.

bye

Jerome Alet