[Zope] Linux am me ;-) [OT]

Roman Suzi rnd@onego.ru
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 01:34:28 +0400 (MSD)

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Chris Withers wrote:

>Bo M. Maryniuck wrote:
>> On Saturday 10 August 2002 17:10, Chris Withers wrote:
>>
>>>I love Linux in a server environment. I'd like it on the desktop too but:
>>>1. no-one has shown me a decent window manager that is as usable and
>>>crashes as little as Windows 2000

I guess, twm is. And I also heard ion is a window manager
(not icon or menu, though ;-) of choice.

>>  - Konqueror (no crashes since KDE 3.0)
>sux
>
>>  - Krusader (Windows Commander clone)
>
>isn't a very good clone
>
>>  - MC
>
>never heard of

Midnight Commander?
Maybe Bo M. was talking about gmc?

Anyway, it is interesting exactly why one need windows
(I do not mean MS Windows) to control a computer?
IMHO, it's the slowest way targeted to novices,
lowest common denominator, so to say.

Right now I am (trying) to use Nautilus under Gnome
which was included with RH 7.2. Well, it's FUN.
But it has nothing to do with usability.
For example, it's easy to play mp3-s in adirectory,
but what if I want to play mp3s in multiple _directories_?

mpg123 */*.mp3

So, it's two symbols more complex than:

mpg123 *.mp3

no need for a window manager when all I want is apply
a command to a set of files.

>>  - bash -- the best and the stablest. ;-)
>is a console, not a window manager. I use bash a lot already...
>
>>>2. customers use windows, therefore I use windows.

Interesting. You are lucky they do not use potassium cyanide.

>> Customers use <TheyFavoriteOS type=anyOs/>, therefore I use Linux.
>You're not a customer of mine ;-)
>
>> I can't properly understand you here. Are you talking about unittest for Zope?
>
>Yes, see the zope-dev list for messages titled "Linux Test Results"
>
>cheers,
>
>Chris

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--