[Zope] new External Methods not recognized

Richard Deeley r_deeley@yahoo.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:46:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de> wrote:
> Richard Deeley writes:
>  >
>  > (Zope 2.5.1 (binary release, python 2.1, win32-x86), python 2.1.3, win32)
>  >
>  > ...
>  > I can redefine the old methods to use new functions.
>  > I can create and test new External Methods. What I can't do is
>  > call any methods from DTML using newly created ExternalMethods.
>  > This generates a name error.
> Thus, you can create the External Method, manage it, call its "Test"
> tab but you cannot use it from DTML. When you try, you

Right.

> get a "Error type: NameError; Error value: your_External_Method", right?

Yes.

>    Are you sure, the DTML object is called correctly (its two positional
>    arguments passed correctly)?

Pretty sure. In debugging, I cloned an existing function and
dtml call and  simply changed its name by one character in both
cases to try to eliminate errors here.

>    Did you check the External Method's "Permission" tab?
>    Sometimes, magic resets some permissions and Zope sometimes
>    maps "Unauthorized" to "AttributeError".

OK. But I see Security and Owner (me) tabs. All the security boxes are
set to 'Aquire' (ie unchanged). The error I get is:

Error Type: NameError
Error Value: global name 'searchReplaceStr3' is not defined

Is there an easy way to get the status of the internals of Zope in
a limited manner ? ie is there a way of dumping relevant parts
to text that contains enough information to be useful without
being overwhelming ?

Regarding Permission tab: Don't see one of those. Are you refering
to Security or is there another tab I ought to see (or another
access method I need).

Just for something to try, I ticked all the boxes under Manager
and Owner for both the DTML and the ExternalMethod and tried
again. Same result.

The disconnect appears to be in the calling of the method. Which
I would guess means either: it cannot resolve the new function
look up. Or it is denying access to it. I guess I could go
though the python trace and find out but that would be the
hard way to go, I would think. It would also have to
wait a while - I just cleaned out 200' of a neighbors drainage
ditch this morning and with all the dust/pollen etc, the screen
looks distinctly fuzzy.

Any ideas who to narrow in on the problem or things to try
would be appreciated and I have have another bash at it when
I can.

Thanks.