[Zope] the quantity of users on site

Schmidt, Allen J. aschmidt@nvcc.edu
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:37:23 -0400

Just a side note on this...sort of off topic but hopefully helpful...

Intro: We started using LivePerson on our site about 3 months ago. You know,
the "Click Here For LiveHelp" folks. It's working great inside Zope. The
code for the button goes in one method and the monitoring code goes in
another, both in the root - then both are called from our footer on every
page. The thing needs an account ID so it knows what operator console to
direct the clicks. I just added a property to the root to handle this ID.
Then other LiveHelp  operators in different areas of the site will have
their own buttons by having their own ID property defined on that folder.
Works well.

One big benefit of this system is that it is able to show how many users are
looking at your site at that very moment. It can track exactly where users
go in our site in real-time. Then when they request Help, we know what they
have been looking at or searching for.

Its a tad expensive but is working very well for us. Lots of possibilities.

-Allen

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of Jens
Vagelpohl
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 8:22 AM
To: Dmitry Matveev
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] the quantaty of users on site

HTTP is a stateless protocol. that means you cannot directly tell how many
people are on the site at any given time. most people overlook this very
basic fact.

that said, you can use workarounds like sessioning or hit counters to
produce approximately correct data. read up on the sessioning facilities
built into zope.

jens