[Zope] Re: Recommended Zope book?

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
20 Aug 2002 00:18:18 -0400

> However...<noflames>  :-) I printed it and spent half an hour reading
> and I find that it is lacking in some respects.  It contains good
> content but the presentation is inconsistent.  I had to read several
> sections multiple times to grasp easily explained concepts which could
> have been explained in one well-written paragraph or if presented in a
> different order.  The layout itself became so distracting that to retain
> my sanity I had to start marking up the three chapters I read with
> layout revisions and suggestions.

Suggestions welcome!  I haven't turned on the comment features of the
book because it's not finished yet. Hmm.  I should put that in the
header, huh? ;-) <sound of patrick's dropping jaw goes here>. Sorry....
will do that now.

> I suspect others new to Zope might have the same problems with it that I
> am having, so I must ask with whom (or where) I can correspond directly
> if suggestions are welcomed.

That would be me.  It'd be nice for followups to stay on the list so we
can have
yet-another-how-much-the-Zope-docs-suck-and-in-the-end-everybody-scatters-when-faced-with-editing-duties sort of thread. Cynicism aside, I really am interested in specific advice on how to make it better, and I'll take any help.  I'm not proud. ;-)

> Couldn't a better name for "Script (Python)" been decided on?  Scripted
> Python, Python Logic Objects, Embedded Python, Python-based scripts,
> PyScript, or *anything* but "Script (Python)"?  It may be legal but it's
> *distracting*. :-)

Yes, it's awful.  But I'm sure somebody else would have said "Where do I
find the 'Python-based script' in the Add list"?  Blame ActiveState's
lawyers. ;-)

- C