[Zope] Re: Generic Content Object for use with Page Templates

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:06:17 -0700

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 04:44:29PM -0500, Evan Simpson wrote:
> Obviously, this may not work for you if you have a different model for
> user interaction with content.  If you can, I advise using the CMF.

This brings up an issue I'm dealing with currently...

I've got largish amounts of content objects which
need to be managed by a small (under 10) group of people
internally, and viewed (not managed) on the internet.
We're moving to using CMF-based solutions for management,
but for presentation to the outside world, the "portal" metaphor
isn't really that relevant - our site is not personalizable
(is that a word?), nor can the general public log in.  And
we have a design for the site which doesn't look anything lke
an existing CMF skin.

I see two options:

1) Create a skin for the public which hides all the management
stuff (and, in fact, looks & feels *completely* different
from the management skin).

2) Create a separate section of our site which is purely
for presentation, and pulls content out of CMF. (love that
CookedBody() method!)

Has anyone gone down either or both of these paths?
Any comments on pros & cons of either approach?

I have a feeling that option 2 might be easier to manage
in terms of security.

-

Paul Winkler
"Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"