[Zope] Re: Generic Content Object for use with Page Templates

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:28:42 -0700

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:00:28AM +0200, Oliver Bleutgen wrote:
> Paul, its sound like you never used the CMF in a project, and are
> therefore in a situation like me some months before.

Well, not exactly. I've previously built a site on CMF -
starting way back when it was PTK! But we really didn't need
more than one look&feel, so this is a whole other ball of wax.

> I didn't like the CMF mgmnt-interface, so I wrote a "hybrid" product of
> some sort, because it uses the ZMI for its interface.

For us, the CMF interface is quite good for the people
that need to manage content.  But nearly all of it is irrelevant
for our general audience.

> Just replace _all_ of the standard skins with your own, and you are as
> productive as with a zope python product, just much more flexible.

hmmm.  OK, I'll look more closely at how to do what I want
solely within CMF, and see if it looks like a win.

Things like skins that are only available
to certain roles, and skin layers that only apply in certain
folders, and very precise control of what the content managers
can and can't do. Can't have them deleting a folder that
contains logic objects which they don't know are there...

--

Paul Winkler
"Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"