[Zope] handling microsoft characters

ChristopherN.Deckard ChristopherN.Deckard
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:01:46 -0500

Hello,
I'm curious as to how some of you handle non-ascii characters which
come from Microsoft applications, in particular IE.  I've got a
system where people can enter text, the text is stored in
properties.  However, when you actually print out the string, there
are non-ascii chars in it.  For example, \x92 is the same as a
single quote (') character, but in Microsoftese.  This just caused
a problem for me when trying to build an XML string to pass to a
ParsedXML object.  I had to create the string as a unicode string
(u'') in order for it to work.

Should I just always treat things in unicode?

Thanks,
-Chris