[Zope] [Re] External Editor 0.5 Problem win98 Zope

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:18:07 -0700

No, no. As my last girlfriend said to me, "It's not you, it's me." EE fires
off the editing on the same machine as my browsing, which is not where my
primary emacs runs. I'm essentially using windows as an X terminal, with the
additional task of running my browsers. If I ran my browser under unix, it
would be pretty handy. The emacs I have installed on Windows is just for
experimentation.

If there was a way to make the helper app or gnuclient load up the buffer
under my Unix Xemacs from my Windows browser, that would be pretty sweet (I
do seem to remember someone did this with gnuclient once but it's been a
long time since I saw that). And it would be so complicated that I can't
imagine it working as reliably as FTP.

Beyond that, having dired available on Zope is pretty sweet. There are times
when I want to edit three or four files in a row. Emacs pops back to the
dired buffer when I'm done editing the file, making it easy to edit the next
one. Doing that with ZMI and EE would involve several mouse clicks, scrolls,
http transfers, and hand movements that I can avoid with emacs.

EE is a really great product. But us Emacs users get pretty stuck in our
ways.*

* Author does not speak for all Emacs users.