[Zope] redirect strangeness ...

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:06:09 -0700

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:02:54 +0200
From: Oliver Bleutgen <myzope@gmx.net>
To: Dennis Allison <allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU>
CC: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] redirect strangeness ...

Oliver Bleutgen <myzope@gmx.net> wrot:
> it's _not_ about zope needing this. It's about the browser.
> Zope sends a 302 http-status code and a http-header which looks in your
> case like this:
>
> Location: index_html
>
> Now you have to rely on the browser to make sense of that location.
> Again, this is in no way something which zope imposes.

I would have thought that Zope would have intercepted the redirect
and processed it locally it it could (why do a server-client-server
transaction if you don't have to).  Even if there were a browser
transaction, wouldn't the browser simply note that the URL is
local and make a request using the current base.   Zope then would
have to sort out the proper target URL.

The fact that it works most of the time seems to support this view
although I have not looked in detail at the code nor at the behavior
of the various browsers.