[Zope] The Prefect Python

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:54:08 +0100

Jean-François Ménard wrote:
>     - Interfaces.  Behavior checking is not enough.

Interface packages exist. Have a look at Zope 3.

>     - Private and Public scopes.  Explicitly.  No more __name_mangling

I've never found these useful.

>     - Design by contract. Pre and Post conditions.  Could save hours of
> debugging.

Would itnerfaces solve this for you?

>     - Block comments.  """ """ should be for documentation.

*shrug* I use emacs, it block comments for me in python mode.

>     - Class variables.

These already exist.

class MyClass:

    my_class_var = 0

>     - A cleaner Property declaration.  No separate _variable. Saw too many
> newbie posts about that.

never used these, dunno what you're on about.

>     - No more self in functions declarations.  In OOP, this *can* be
> implicit. (I know, this is controversial stuff)

Sorry, I'd abhor that with a passion. Explicit is better than implicit ;-)

>     - Standard GUI library.  AnyGui seems to be the solution, but
> development seems to have stalled recently...

TK? WXPython? Take your pick, or your shovel if you're Irish.

cheers,

Chris