[Zope] HTTP_ACCEPT and flash content

Lee Harr missive@hotmail.com
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:44:23 +0000

Hi;

I was thinking of adding some flash to our site...
(i know, i know.. NOOOO!)

Anyhow. I thought it would be ok as long as the flash was not being
sent out to browsers that cannot play it. I figured that the
HTTP_ACCEPT variable should have something like: "application/flash-5"
or something...

But looking at a test page it does not appear to be so.

I just made a python script with:  return context.REQUEST

>From mozilla (with no flash plugin) I get:
HTTP_ACCEPT'text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,video/x-mng,image/png,image/jpeg,image/gif;q=0.2,text/css,*/*;q=0.1'

And from Netscape 7 beta (with flash 5 plugin) I get:
HTTP_ACCEPT'text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,video/x-mng,image/png,image/jpeg,image/gif;q=0.2,text/css,*/*;q=0.1'

Which looks identical to me...

Am I going about this all wrong?
Is there a way to tell if a browser can deal w/flash before sending it out?