[Zope] Dumb question: Can Zope be used as a LDAP server?

Luca Olivetti luca@wetron.es
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 17:19:06 +0100

Sebastian Stark wrote:

> In my opinion it would make a lot more sense if data are kept in a
> dedicated LDAP Server and Zope uses LDAP to query this server.

Unless you've already collected your data in the zodb (this seems the
same discussion as whether is better to keep your data in a relational
database or the zodb, and the correct answer is: it depends ;-)

> Besides that: OpenLDAP can use different backends to store data. But I
> don't know how much effort it would be to make it use Zope databases.

I've just discovered that for my limited needs (serving the addresses
already in the zodb to mozilla through ldap) the shell backend of
openldap could do (e.g. writing a python script in zope that gives back
the data in the format that openldap expects and writing a shell scripts
that just queries zope with wget).
The performance won't be stellar but I don't have many clients.
Maybe this is what Luis could do too.

Bye

--
Luca Olivetti